Saturday, November 28, 2015

Introduction

I am most definitely without a doubt a New School DM. I began playing tabletop RPGs back in 2008 with Dungeons & Dragons 4th edition. I would go on to give Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e a chance the following year (albeit not much of one) and would eventually relent and begin playing Pathfinder. I have always been a gamer who likes the advances to tabletop RPGs that we've seen in modern games since 2000.

However that isn't to say I haven't had brief forays into old school games. I once tried to run an Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd edition game for a group of 4th edition players and new players. I made some basic houserules (ascending saves and ACs) but ultimately I wasn't a good fit for the group. I've tried incorporating some old school techniques in my modern gaming. I once tried to run a game Theatre of Mind (no miniatures) using Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition. We lasted all of 2 combats.

However as a tinkerer I'm always tinkering with rules. I enjoy doing it (and have even been published) and I've decided to explore more old school games. This might mean taking D&D 5th edition rules and modifying them to get a more olf school feel. It could mean looking at AD&D 2nd edition rules and trying to tweak them to simplify the mechanics a bit. Or it could involve looking at some of the OSR clones out there.

Either way, this will be an eclectic bunch of posts about Dungeons & Dragons from all sorts of angles.

No comments:

Post a Comment